Tuesday, 22 March 2011

The Great Gatsby

After much resistance I started reading F Scott Fitzgerald's 'The Great Gatsby' earlier in the week. This was after my kindle signal died on the underground and I resolved to read something that was already in my library, rather than sitting through a long tedious train ride. I had bought the book when ages ago my friend Serge had told me it was his favourite book, but for some reason I did not expect us to share the same taste in fiction, so I didn't actually get around to reading it.


 Since I had no prior knowledge of the work, short of knowing it as an American Classic, I had no expectations.


In two days and four tube journeys I had read it cover-to-cover, spent a long time thinking about it and unusually for me, googled it to read other opinions.


And it is probably when of the greatest, most beautiful and evocative pieces of fiction I had ever read. I won't ruin the story with any summaries or praise, because no amount of rapturous  adulation will even begin to do justice to the greatness of this book. In fact, it will be probably serve to the contrary in impossibly annoying everyone and defeating the whole purpose of this post. So I shall keep my big mouth shut.


-----------------------------------


What's insanely exciting is that my favourite piece of fiction is about to be melded eternally with my favourite piece of
 A-aaa-aasSensationally talented acting talented- in the form of Leonardo Dicaprio.


2012 will see the release of an adaption of the Great Gatsby starring Leo, Carey Mulligan and Jake Gyllenhall.




Amanda Seyfried, Rebecca Hall, Keira Knightley, Blake Lively, Abbie Cornish,Michelle Williams, Natalie Portman, Eva Green, Anne Hathaway, Olivia Wilde, Jessica Alba and Scarlett Johansson were considered to play Daisy Buchanan. 


After screen testing all available actresses, Scarlett Johansson was Baz Luhrmann andLeonardo DiCaprio's first choice for the role of Daisy, but she was already committed to filming We Bought a Zoo (2011), so Carey Mulligan was offered the role.



Who would you have chosen? 










No comments:

Post a Comment