Sunday, 1 May 2011

FASHION HIGHLIGHT OF THE YEAR: THE COSTUME INSTITUTE GALA (MET BALL) 2011

For me the most exciting annual event in fashion is not the Oscars, but the Met Ball. Every year it is the Costume Institute Gala that has me transfixed by the gowns, the bodies and the jewels. Blake, Giselle and Biel always do a fantastic job at the event with their flawless choices.


This year, the gala honours the late Alexander McQueen and an exhibition marking his 19-year career, called Savage Beauty

On Monday I am going to be watching for my favourite Anna Dello Russo to bring the drama. Amazingly, she is a MET-Virgin and this will be her first appearance at the event. Anna Wintour, Salma Hayek and Colin Firth will be hosting the event.
Another interesting fact is that Daphne Guinness is going to be getting reading for the ball in the window of Barney's Department Store, Manhattan- and that is definitely something I'd pay to see.



Daphne on the MET Gala


 “I am not doing a burlesque — no way. I’m going to be getting dressed behind something. I’m not Dita Von Teese, nor shall I be.” Instead, she likes the idea because “there’s been this discussion for longer than I’ve been alive that fashion is not art,” Guinness explains. “My feeling is that this is another piece of evidence that, yes, there is a commercial side to fashion that is needed, but there are these crossover moments that do become art. I hope it works, and I don’t faint.”



Anna and her daughter Bee Shaffer at the Met Costume Gala Ball (fashionista.com)



No comments:

Post a Comment