Tuesday, 26 July 2011

To be persuasive we must be believable; to be believable we must be credible; credible we must be truthful.

When I was growing up, my dad, as any parent would, taught me many things. The one thing he tried to instil in me and my brother every day was the value of truth and honesty. The importance of calling things by their name. What he omitted to tell us, was that sometimes even the most well intentioned of truths have repercussions.

I respect that for some it's easier to live a fiction. To delude oneself for the sake of flawed contentment. However personally I see this as setting yourself up for a hell of a fall.
But when asked for my opinion (although I rarely venture it myself) I will say what I think. Sadly, it is not always well received.


Of course there's the classic scenario. I suspect many ladies can name a broken friendship over a well-intentioned revelation concerning their former friend's boyfriend. This often results in your friend going directly to her boyfriend who hits the roof and issues all sorts of objectively implausible denials. You are in turn left feeling foolish for wanting to help and betrayed. So giving frank relationship advice should probably be the one exception to the truth rule.


Nevertheless, the other day I was pleasantly surprised to receive a frankly unpleasant and unsolicited piece of news. I did not ask to know the thing I was told. However, the person who is someone I used to be friends with, decided that I ought to know. This is something that gave me a newfound level of respect for them, after all, telling someone something unpleasant is always a gamble. So if you are reading this, thank you!


No comments:

Post a Comment