Tuesday, 20 September 2011

Started out with a kiss, how did it end up like this??

If you read my blog, you'll know that books and literature are one of my great loves. This is why, when I saw the trailer for "One Day" in the cinema, I knew I would have to read the book before seeing the movie.

Usually I avoid romantic novels because I think one of the hardest things for an author to achieve is to avoid making a total 'cheese-fest' of the plot, which is tricky when you are dealing in a subject matter that most people are (hopefully) pretty well versed in.

 As different as we all are, we all comfortingly similar when it comes to falling in love.

We go about living our everyday lives, as happy or sad as they are. Until one day, unexpectedly, we meet someone who changes things. Not necessarily love at first sight, or cupid's thunderbolt. But someone who seems different; more intelligent, funnier, nicer, kinder and more inspiring than the rest of the world. Someone who makes us better and with whom seconds and minutes seamlessly meld into hours which race by in an imperceptible haze of laughter/ fun/ excitement. This is what 'One Day' is about.





Book Review: One Day by David Nicholls


I raced through the book in two days, because I was so captivated by the poignant story of Emma Morley and Dexter Mayhew and the side-splittingly funny prose which accompanies what undeniably is a great, and more importantly, real, love story.
The book begins on a drunken night in Edinburgh when Dexter Mayhew, the charismatic, handsome rogue and Emma Morley, a high-minded, idealistic and liberal Northerner- hook up. 

From then on, each chapter revisits Em and Dex on the same day of every year, between 1988-2007. This unusual narrative device makes for a highly nostalgic and moving tale of the story of their lives. In a startling way, after reading the book I felt like I'd lived an entire life from beginning to end. We follow Dex and Em from the hopeful optimism of youth to adult life and finally middle age. But throughout the dizzying highs and crashing lows the one constant is their friendship. Their innermost feelings for each other are the elephant in the room and cathartically it's only by helping each other overcome their own demons that they are able to give voice to their feelings.

But that's enough of the sentimental. The book is actually hilariously funny. On the god forsaken South Ken- Holborn tube journey in the morning I was the crazy chick alarming my fellow passengers with uncontrollable peals of laughter- so better read this when you don't have company.

Beautifully written, funny, poignant and unforgettable. 

2 comments:

  1. I read this book after I broke up with my boyfriend and it was the most decision affirming experience. Its nice to see that you have so many interests as well as fashion. Keep it going.

    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  2. I finished this book last night. It was absolutely amazing. Thanks for recommending it.

    ReplyDelete