Sunday, 23 October 2011

The Dos and Don'ts of Halloween.

My two favourite holidays are Halloween, closely followed by Guy Fawkes Night.

Of course there is also Thanksgiving, which I enjoy vicariously from the comfort of my sofa as I watch my favourite US shows. And needless to say, no self-respecting HBO drama would miss the opportunity of shooting a Massive, glazed, over-stuffed turkey and intrigue over the pumpkin pie. But I'm straying off the point..

 Tumblr_l7d4s7hvai1qah3xso1_400_large

Halloween reigns supreme in my books for several reasons. People dress up!! Oh how I love seeing my friends transformed into vamps, ghouls, victorian gentlemen, pirates and pumpkins. There's candy - lots of it. Adorable children ring my door bell, laugh in my face and then silly string me, with their parents looking on apologetically. I feel a thrill of nostalgia at every pumpkin I see. I am reminded of my favourite childhood movies; Casper, Hocus Pocus and the Legend of Sleepy Hollow. And crucially, no one can tell me I'm overdressed!!




Don't
  1.  Leave your outfit till the last minute
  2. Be predictable or lazy - a white bedsheet with the eyes cut out is not a costume
  3. Use halloween as an excuse to dress like a hoe! Leave the sheer stockings & suspenders in the underwear draw where they belong
  4. Get embarrassed about dressing up. It's meant to be fun and there's nothing worse than the awkward person shifting self consciously in the corner
  5. Don't be mean to other people on Halloween. "Errr, so who are you meant to be?" Halloween is a holiday, so let's play nice.
Do


  1. Be creative. There are enough vampires, pirates and nurses to go around
  2. Make sure you have plenty of candy for the little ones
  3. Carve a pumpkin lantern to go outside your door
  4. Find an outfit to make you utterly unrecognisable
  5. Get your friends together on the Sunday of Halloween weekend for a marathon Horror fest. First person to freak out and bottle it does a dare.
  6. Enjoy!





Tumblr_ltc189stk31qbwlvco1_500_large


Tumblr_lsxayyu1yl1qc144qo1_500_large







No comments:

Post a Comment