Saturday, 31 December 2011

Favourite Books: book Lovers Never go to Bed Alone.

I had a comment asking for a post of my favourite books of 2011. As an avid reader I am happy to oblige. When making this list, I realised that my favourites are invariably 20th century American authors with plots that interweave subtle observation of personal human struggles against the backdrop of a particular cultural and socio-economic contexts. Wharton and Williams are both masters of this genre. As with life, there are no heros or villans and the polished surface of convention is pierced to reveal the poignant underbelly of the human condition.

However, as much as I revel in gloomy atmospheric fiction there are also restorative entries on my list; a perfect antidote to any  Tennessee Williams induced despondency.

I'd love to know what peoples favourite reads are, as I am always adding to my list so feel free to recommend. 


All Time Favourites

  1.  Age of Innocence- Edith Wharton
  2.  The House of Mirth- Edith Wharton
  3.  The Great Gatsby- Scott Fitzgerald
  4.  Collected Stories of Tennessee Williams
  5.  White Teeth- Zadie Smith (hilariously witty)
  6.  Lolita- Vladimir Nabokov (fantastically written and stylistically magnificent)
  7.  The Thornebirds- Colleen McCullough (An epic love story)
  8.  Shadow of the Wind- Carlos Ruiz Zafon (magical and captivating)
  9.  Her Fearful Symmetry - Audrey Niffenegger (totally original plot)
  10. One Day- David Nicholls
  11.  Barbarians at the Gate

20090828193806_large



2 comments:

  1. I loved One Day. Some of my favourites are -
    To Kill a Mocking Bird - Harper Lee
    The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini
    The Love of my Life - Louise Douglas
    Astrid & Veronica - Linda olsson
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you were to describe The Great Gatsby in a paragraph, what would you say?

    It's one of my favourite books and from my perspective, F. Scott Fitzgerald wanted to portray the impossibility of the American Dream in 1920's America. Gatsby himself represents America, according to the American literary critic, Trilling, and his tragic death is heavily symbolic of the moral decay and mass consumerism that destroyed American values at the time.

    Love your writing style, and would LOVE to hear your opinion!
    Also, have you read A Streetcar Named Desire by Tennessee Williams?

    ReplyDelete