However, as much as I revel in gloomy atmospheric fiction there are also restorative entries on my list; a perfect antidote to any Tennessee Williams induced despondency.
I'd love to know what peoples favourite reads are, as I am always adding to my list so feel free to recommend.
All Time Favourites
- Age of Innocence- Edith Wharton
- The House of Mirth- Edith Wharton
- The Great Gatsby- Scott Fitzgerald
- Collected Stories of Tennessee Williams
- White Teeth- Zadie Smith (hilariously witty)
- Lolita- Vladimir Nabokov (fantastically written and stylistically magnificent)
- The Thornebirds- Colleen McCullough (An epic love story)
- Shadow of the Wind- Carlos Ruiz Zafon (magical and captivating)
- Her Fearful Symmetry - Audrey Niffenegger (totally original plot)
- One Day- David Nicholls
- Barbarians at the Gate