Monday, 9 January 2012

Crater Lodge in Tanzania : a Different kind of Wow

Not many people are aware of Tanzania and its remarkable beauty. Ironically if your a fan of the dailies or of Piers Morgan, which makes everyone, you may remember Cheryl Cole being struck down by malaria on her Tanzanian getaway with Derek Hough; but I'm guessing that unfortunate incident is where your knowledge of the country ends. 

Before dispensing travel advice, I should probably admit, I'm a baste myself in oil and tempura myself on the beach kinda girl. However, my inner Indiana Jones craves exotic adventure, thrilling feats of bravery;  getting up close and personal with wild lions and saber toothed tigers from the inside of a 4x4 Safari car. 
So Tanzania is calling and I'm-a-running.

The  Ngorongoro Conservation Area is nestled in the heart of Tanzania amongst miles of unspoilt grassland, wildlife and the indigenous Maasai herdsman. Over 30,000 wild animals live on just 260km2 of land; that's a lot of teeth per square kilometre.

The 
&Beyond Ngorongoro Crater Lodge probably has one of the most explosively cool locations on the planet; right on the edge of a volcanic crater. Can you imagine waking up in the morning to this view, seeing the mist float across the blue dawn savannah and the wild antelope speeding across the grasslands? A safari is of course obligatory; look out for Simba and Mufasa, don't throw stones at Scar, the tourguides won't like it. End the day with a mouthwatering dinner, watching the sunset and listening to the sound of crickets and birdsong. My type of adventure.


Ngorongoro Crater, Safari in Tanzania


Ngorongoro Crater, Safari in Tanzania


Ngorongoro Crater, Safari in Tanzania


Ngorongoro Crater, Safari in Tanzania

2 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to visit Tanzania!! seeing the Serengeti Migration is like my ultimate travel dream

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never been to Tanzania…However, I also felt the same feelings as you shared in this amazing post before I have departed to explore my adventurous side in Kenya :) Obviously, it is not the same, and things changed since the time I have visited Africa..But there is nothing glamorous in exploring safaris in a 4x4…cuz these 4x4 aren’t the cars we used to… It was the most uncomfortable experience…and seeing a lion from the top of the car is not much different from seeing it in a zoo… The sights were nice, and all of us dropped 3-4 kg during this week (one of the positive sides of the holiday :p)… We went with a big group of people from Ukraine and Russia. Our family got all the needed vaccinations, pills and we even brushed out teeth with mineral water…However, the Russian people were not as clever and went without vaccinations, and one girl from the Russian group, died after the trip…:s But I agree that there are amazing spas there, and its truly a must visit place!

    MISS U :) XOXO

    www.me-and-only-me.com

    ReplyDelete