Thursday, 15 March 2012

Review: Four Seasons New York

I reckon you know me pretty well by now. 
Well enough to know that it's an inevitability that I am going to post about a particular highlight of my holiday. The Four Seasons New York for it is the other place I stayed whilst in the City. I have been extolling the virtues of the chain for some time now; so it's hardly a surprise that I chose to stay here. However, even this pampered traveler was unprepared for the degree of hospitality I would be shown and the great lengths the staff went to ensuring our comfort.


The Four Seasons New York is located on 57 street, bang in between the shopping havens of Madison and Park Avenue. Most appropriately for its location the hotel is a skyscraper and boasts being the tallest hotel in New York with dizzying views of the City from the Ty Warner Suite on the 52nd Floor. It's built in an uncompromisingly grand style; onyx, art-deco, flowers and fine art.






Four Seasons Service

I'm of the opinion that money wont always buy you good service. Yes I mean it; kindly stop rolling your eyes and muttering "yeah right". Throughout my travels I've stayed in plenty of hotels where the staff walked about with plastered-on riga mortis smiles, forced joviality first thing in the morning or dead eyes after that initial mega-watt moment. Rather selfishly perhaps, I always find it disheartening to know that the person serving me is unhappy in their job and that leaves me with a feeling of disquiet.

However, the Four Seasons is no such place. Maybe it's the people they recruit, or the training they provide or simply something in the water; but you'd be hard-pressed to find a friendlier place with a more sincere delivery.
On arrival in New York, we were greeted at the hotel by Raul who has worked for the company for 22 years. He showed us up to our room whilst my mother was lamenting the 12 bags of clothes we had bought that afternoon and the conundrum of having to go look for another suitcase which would fit them all. A mere 5 minutes later the bell rang. It was Raul. He had bought with him a large box and asked if it would suit to pack our purchases in. He then proceeded to tape it up for reinforcement (having first hand felt the weight of the shopping). 

Now fast forward a week to the end of our trip... I had packed the box and it was Raul who came up to pick it up. I had cello-taped it shut and made a rather suspect 'cellotape handle' so I could lug it across the airport. Then I went for lunch with my uncle and aunt from Connecticut. On return I had found that Raul had gone to get some proper heavy duty rope and properly tied it around the box and made a thick, sturdy handle so it would be easy to carry!

I was absolutely touched by this unexpected act of consideration. Touched by how he had considered something that most people wouldn't even give a seconds thought to. Touched by the fact that he had concerned himself with what happened after we had left the Hotel. And if I haven't emphasised it enough... I was touched.



Raul

The Room


The kind staff at reception gave us a complimentary upgrade to a lovely deluxe room on the 14th floor; tastefully appointed in warm calm neutrals and very large by New York standards. The bathroom was typical Four Seasons, massive bath, walk in rain shower, fluffy robes and Bvlgari toiletries. The walk-in closet was also handy, especially for a manic last minute dresser like me. Then the huge windows that looked down onto the beating streets and the endless yellow taxis really gave me the feeling of being part of the City. I cannot think of a single thing that was lacking or anything I would have changed.

None



The Facilities


The Four Seasons New York is home to one of the City's coolest eateries, the renowned L'Atelier De Joël Robuchon. In the evenings the vibe is buzzy and it is best to reserve in advance as it is so popular. Them there are other excellent dining options like The Garden eatery, The Ty Lounge, The Caviar Lounge and The Bar. But wherever you are in the Hotel the food is shockingly good regardless where you eat. And if after too much over-indulgence you are feeling particularly corpulent; there's always the state-of-the-art gym and spa to whip you into shape.



Conclusion

 Typically my home away from home has not disappointed and that's no surprise considering that I've yet to come away from a Four Seasons stay feeling anything but satisfied. My biggest piece of advice to anyone staying in NYC (even if you aren't staying at the FS) is to head to the Hotel for a life-changing breakfast. New York is an amazing city and this place is definitely one of the best bases in the City from which to explore it. Definitely crashing here again next time I'm in the Big Apple!


WEBSITE


57 East 57th Street 
New York 10022

Tel. 1 (212) 758-5700

Related Posts







6 comments:

  1. crashing in the four seasons.. really!? Intentional oxymoron?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) It's safe to assume you've read the rest of the post. Bang on! x

      Delete
  2. Hi,

    As a dedicated follower of your blog, I noticed you have a passion for travelling. Im trying to plan a beach holiday with my mum and given you have great taste I was wondering which places you would personally recommend around July?

    Dani xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dani!

      Dubai is amazing for kick-back and laze in the sun all day holidays. The last time I went was a while ago but I do know that you cannot go wrong with the following;

      1. Al Qasr, Madinat Jumeirah http://www.jumeirah.com/Hotels-and-Resorts/Reiseziele/Dubai/Madinat-Jumeirah/Al-Qasr-Hotel/

      2. Atlantis The Palm http://www.atlantisthepalm.com/

      They are probably the most luxurious and have the most to offer in terms of facilities and activities. The other great ones are the One & Only Royal Mirage or One & Only the Palm.

      Whenever I go away I always stay in a minimum of two hotels, as I do like to mix things up and see different sides of places. Maybe stay in the City and then check out the palm as well?

      Let me know how it goes and what you decide to book! xxxx Hanushka

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much, I will keep you posted!

      Delete