Saturday, 28 April 2012

Oh Kimchee, I did not know thee, but now that I do, I'll take nothing in lieu.

Yes, you probably winced at the post title, but I just couldn't resist.

 As a law student at BPP Holborn, I have spent the best part of a year marvelling at queues snaking round the block, to get into Kimchee, a Korean on the corner of High Holborn and Red Lion Street. Cynically, I dismissed Kimchee as a case of 'location. location. location'; ravenous law students and portly barristers, all looking for a vino and noodle fix.

Whilst planning dinner with my friends the other week we realised how bored we had become of all our regular haunts. Suffice it to say that when you can recite the Zuma menu backwards and spot new tipples on the Nobu cocktail list, a change of scenery is called for. 

Lightbulb moment- Kimchee. A stone's throw from my friend's bank and a road cross for me. No reservations, just turn up, although better early in the week when there are no queues. The interiors are dark, moody and sexy; reminiscent of a dressed down Hakkasan but with utterly reasonable prices (£30 pp if you order A LOT). The open plan kitchen meant watching the chefs tossing steaming prawns and stirfry in woks and Flambéing pink juicy pieces of meat. Appetite propelled into Lewis Hamilton overdrive I was ready to order.  

The food was absolutely delicious. I wish I could tell you what we ordered, but that would involve me reeling off everything on the menu. Apologies for the paltry number of photos, but after the first few delicious mouthfuls taking pictures was no longer on my agenda. The food was perfectly cooked, flavoursome, comforting and totally indescribable (so I don't know why I'm trying). And when you think it can't get any better; desert. Creamy almond flavour ice cream- AMEN!

p.s. if you're my friend and if we've got a lunch date in the book, please let's go to Kimchee.  

Related Posts

Every man dies - not every man really lives


71 High Holborn, London WC1V 6EA  United Kingdom
020 7430 0956




Favourite dish, Korean pancakes with veg and octopus

No comments:

Post a Comment