Monday, 28 May 2012

Whispers and Colonnades

The Rue Fauborg St Honore holds several imposing buildings with surly French guards stationed outside. Now, don't ask me how, but I managed to sneak my way past a few of these charming fellas and found myself here....




Le Cercle de l'Union interalliƩe; Paris' finest members club founded in 1917 as a social and dining club. I enquired whether I could have lunch. But was met with the look of disdain and informed that club was for members only. However, a quick flash of my Arts' club card and I was ushered through, albeit my inappropriate attire attracted more than a few quizzical looks from elderly gentleman in three-piece suits and groups of ladies in Chanel ensembles.


I set about exploring. Remarkably given the clubs location in one of Paris' busiest thoroughfares there are huge grounds around the back of the building. It happened to be a gloriously sunny afternoon so I wiggled myself out of my coat and into recliner, ordered a pot of green tea and waited on mon ami to finir avec picking up a tailored blazer from Lanvin. Regrettably the club had stop serving lunch so we set off in search of nourishment.


If you're in Paris this place is well worth a visit and has reciprocal arrangements with; The Royal Automobile Club; The Arts Club; Carlton Club; East India Club; National Liberal Club; Naval & Military Club; Oxford and Cambridge Club; The Reform Club; Savage Club; The Cavalry and The Guards Club.




2 comments:

  1. You're kidding me?! That's my Gran's club and where we had her 90th! Literally there on the terrace! and we took the dining room too! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great place for a bday!! As I was taking the tour I was mauling over having my 25th there.. albeit its still a few years off xxx

      Delete