Wednesday, 12 September 2012

Spiky Encounters and The Start of Something Beautiful: Hong Kong

I'm in Hong Kong, it's 6am and this is now my 28th sleepless hour. My brain is going 1mph, so I think (in cliches) "screw this, I'll sleep when I'm dead" and as the sky betrays the first pixels of lavender, I'm out the door and into the city.

I wandered aimlessly around a practically deserted Hong Kong, which if it were a person, would be the Prufrock's "patient etherised upon a table".

After 4 hours my feet are beginning to melt. But it's 11am and I want to see the markets. My friend Vanessa is now up and off we go.


First Stop: Fruit and Veg Market, Central





gif maker






Luckily, not everything's destined for the pot and we make our first local friend.

I'm practically delirious with longing when I see him and have to be dragged away before I make a scene.


Ah, when love goes wrong, nothing goes right. So I stop at a fly kitchen, (street stalls serving delicious food but famed for their questionable hygiene) and console myself with a Chinese delicacy, the pork bun. The bread is soft and foamy and the meat is succulent. 




The Ladies Market, Mongkok, Tung Choi Street

The market has hundreds of stalls of pointless souvenirs, iphone accessories, jewellery and other knickknacks. I want it all and end up haggling over an armful of jade bracelets and a necklace. 

The Chinese believe that Jade links the spiritual and physical worlds, and in the past Taoist alchemists drunk elixirs of powdered jade to guard against evil. Babies are still given tiny jade bracelets to protect against bad luck and if it's good enough for their chubby little arms, it's good enough for mine.










The Durian

Durian is the smelliest fruit in the world. No really, I'm not using hyperbole, it actually reeks.

But Vanessa wanted to try it and being a good sport, I braved it too.

It tasted sweet, but i just couldn't get past the fact that it smelt like a pack of Alsations had chased a ball into a biogas fermenter (I imagine those things are pretty pongy) and were also paying the price for too much chicken vindaloo. Don't try this at home folks.


Trying to protest

Resignation.

16 comments:

  1. This trip looks out of this world and so do you. I wish I could go away like this.

    Tessa xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tessa! I hope you had a great summer though :)
      x

      Delete
  2. amazing photos..ahh I want to visit HK again now!!
    I hate the smell of durian too. My mom loves eating it though. I don't think I'll ever understand why..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vanessa actually liked it- which is beyond belief. And as you chew it, you can smell it, which makes it 100 times worse.

      Delete
  3. im really happy you're having a fantastic time sis! that bobbing fish gif is great lol. i quite liked those slippers...hint hint

    Ali B

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your trip looks amazing so far! Have the time of you life in Aisa! You must go to Disneyland and Ocean Park! They have the cutest pandas there! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thats 100% on my list - PANDAS AND PINK DOLPHINS are both a must xxx

      Delete
  5. I live in Hong Kong! How long are you staying for? I'd love to take you around town :)
    Samantha x
    suggie124@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sam :) How sweet! I'm about to wing you off an email )) xx

      Delete
  6. Awwwwww I'm so SO excited about this - don't mind if I go ahead and live vicariously through your life in Hong Kong!
    BTW that dress is ridiculously cute.

    xo
    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you little one! although inbetween wine tastings and cuddles you seem to be doing alright ;) xxx

      Delete
  7. Durian is soooo good ! haha I love it. It has a shit load of antioxidants as well so it's even good for you :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. maybe the 'shit load of antioxidants' are what make it smell so very special! x

      Delete
  8. Looking good!<3 the dress!! Have fun! we Miss U!!!
    XXX

    www.me-and-only-me.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Making me desperate to go to Hong Kong!! Love your blog been reading for months and started my own a few weeks ago!

    Check it out if you have time!
    www.kellyjade.co.uk

    Not in your league!

    ReplyDelete