Wednesday, 7 November 2012

Azeri Weddings

In Azerbaijan, weddings have never been a religious occasion but a cultural one, steeped in beautiful traditions (and also tremendous fun). 

For example, in the West, before the wedding, the guy will usually ask the girl's dad for permission; here the groom and his family go to the bride's house to ask her parents for her hand (it's more symbolic than anything else). The two families meet around the dinner table and tea is served- if the tea is served sweet, then the bride's family has given their blessing; if it's bitter then bad news for the groom.

This week I'm in Baku, the capital of Azerbaijan for my friend's wedding, which was easily one of the most moving and beautiful things I've ever been to. As for the bride, I am lost for words to convey just how spectacular she looked.

The formula in Baku is the as same everywhere, with a few things thrown in...


  • Take one happy couple
  • Invite family and friends... and their family and friends for good measure
  • A mountain of delicious food. It's pretty standard to have 7 courses 
  • An extensive entertainment programme of live music in Russian, English and Azeri, as well as dance acts. Followed by an afterparty after the main event
  • Spend half the month preparing, if you don't look like a guest to the Oscars, you've failed at being an Azeri woman.
Related Posts
Wedding Fever II






Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App


Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Traditional Azeri Dance and Music

14 comments:

  1. My jaw dropped when I saw that dress- GORGEOUS. I am still drooling. Both you and the bride look incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love your dress - Oh my and the couple are in cake for the rest of 2012/2013 yummy & beautiful! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, your DRESS!!!
    i've tried on King's road a few months ago and was not sure about it, LOVE IT now!

    x

    Estelle

    http://serendipity2307.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recently discovered your blog, and I'm currently obsessed. Love your travel updates and amazing pictures. And that dress, it just paid for itself!
    x
    sthephany

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where is your dress from? It's gorgeous!

    Thank you for writing such a great blog, I read it often but this is the first time I'm commenting - you write so beautifully and take the most wonderful photographs.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  6. what's the azeri custom for ordinary people?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are many customs, so many that I don't even know them all. And the above format is followed by everyone, regardless of social standing as weddings are the biggest celebration in the life of every family. Xx

      Delete
  7. Your dress is amazing! Where did you get it? xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you everyone, you're too kind. The dress is by Jovani xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hanushka,you are the most beautiful blogger girl in the world!!!;))Ramy A

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a beautiful wedding! your dress is absolutely stunning! love that sparkle!

    http://bellaconscience.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your dress is gorgeous and the ring is even more beautiful!

    I just received my Jovani Estelle dress (it's been on order for 12 weeks!) for my New Year party and that ring would look AMAZING with it. Do you mind sharing where it is from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're gonna look like one hawt mama! The ring is actually my all time fave- it's by Boodles from their Blossom collection. I still remember that dizzy feeling as it was slipped onto my finger :) xxx

      Delete
  12. i found here pretty Wedding Dress Here that is appropriate for Bride , i prefer such a lot rattling color combination Thanks for sharing This diary .That is soooo pretty! i like the sq. cut layers. it's simply attractive. i actually just like the cut of the sleeves too! you've got an entire ton of talent. I all could not upset that a lot of layers. :) Thanks for sharing it with us! it's wonderful.

    ReplyDelete