Tuesday, 11 June 2013

The Isle of Wight.

There’s a lot to be said for country getaways. To this urbanite mind they are sentimental windows of opportunity, filling lungs with green mossy air and tinting day-shy complexions. I appreciate the wide empty landscapes. I like squelching through mud in my wellies to the quiet murmur of wildlife.

It may sound like a Tolstoyian depiction of a rural fantasy. In fact, as the queen of illogical optimism I acknowledged that it may well be. But that wasn’t going to stop my excitement as we raced down the A3 with the top down, beneath a cloudless sky, hair whipping in the wind.




The Isle of Wight has been a holiday destination since the Victorian times.  So if it was good enough for the inhabitants of my (second) favourite historical period, it was certainly good enough for me.

It took us just over 3 hours to get there (including the Ferry crossing from Portsmouth to Fishbourne). The Island is shaped like a diamond. Rural farmland, thatched cottages and breath-taking views of craggy cliffs all make it painfully pretty.

We drove, walked and ate our way around the Island. There wasn’t really a plan- but you don’t need one. Just cross your fingers for a sunny day and you’re good to go.








Everything is delightfully steeped in nostalgia. No Costa coffees or mobile-phone accessory shops here. Instead you find old-fashioned haberdasheries selling ribbons and charity shops full of interesting knick knacks. 

We stopped off at Ventnor, a seaside resort built on cliffs leading down to the sea. In the 19th century the town was a small fishing hamlet. It is still famed for the Fish and Chips served up daily at Ventor Haven Fishery from the catch hauled in that very morning. I was excited to discover that the fish on offer wasn't your regular soggy cod but a dizzying array of oceanic dwellers.  

We watched the lady prepare our battered rock salmon with proper chips and apple fritters in sugar and cinnamon. We then sat on the steps by the sea and  proceeded to wolf the lot down. Invigorated, we continued on our tour of the Island.

 photo null_zps3592654b.jpg photo null_zps9b1ae69b.jpg photo null_zpsa8672532.jpg photo null_zps3f7831ca.jpg












The beaches on the Isle of Wight range from powdery demerara sand to smooth warm pebbles. A firm believer in getting my feet wet, I braved the hypothermic waters. Although it's no Indian Ocean, I think you could probably get away with going for a dip midsummer; something I am committed to doing on my next visit.

I could go on. But you're probably bored of reading. So I'll stop. And you can look at the pictures before reaching for the phone and dialing an appropriate travelling partner. You should probably open with "So... fancy some apple fritters?"











 photo null_zpsf514bf9a.jpg  photo null_zps92e723bb.jpg  photo null_zps909d3956.jpg  photo null_zps6934e31f.jpg  photo null_zpsaffc180c.jpg  photo null_zpsaf7f2133.jpg

24 comments:

  1. This is beautiful. I can't tell you how excited I get when I see you've posted something. You have an incredible gift with words. Thank you for taking the time to share some of your adventures with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh hanushka, this post is beautiful! I know have said this too often but your writing skills are incredible, ever thought about writing a book?
    Do you know what happened between Rose and Gaby? I miss Gaby on her Blog! I feel like Rose changes her friends like underwear.
    Lots of love from a loyal reader.
    Frederike

    ReplyDelete
  3. and your favourite historical period is????

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all the kool comments guys!

    1. Favourite historical period is modern Chinese History 1920s-1980s.

    2. Gabi and Rosie are not friends anymore. I am tired of tiptoeing around the subject and am sure they are used to my indiscretion by now. They both remain friends of mine and I am not sure there's anything more to say. That's the truth. Hope that satisfies everyone's curiousity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. which camera do you use?

    ReplyDelete
  6. that looks absolutely beautiful, it looks a bit like California almost

    ReplyDelete
  7. The pictures are stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're writing is fantastic, as are your gorgeous photos!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely beautiful, I've made a decision to go myself one weekend in August. I hope the weather is as nice as this! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. How beautiful Hanushka! My partner and I have been thinking of touring the UK. We just always go out of the country. Your photos are so tempting. Got all the ingredients: sand, beach, shores, sun, food and quaint surroundings. Perfect!

    MsMadge :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow this post is so beautiful... Gorgeous! :)
    xx
    www.zdevania.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks stunning, I'd love to go to the Isle of Wight and what fantastic weather you had...how incredibly lucky!...xv

    http://vickiarcher.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. You should do round the island yacht race, best way to see all the lovely parts!
    I did it this year here is my pics... http://cashmeretimes.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/round-island-yacht-race-2013.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just wanted to say how much I love your blog. You are an excellent writer (compared to some of the absolute dribble floating around on "blogs"), your pics are fab and not just gratuitous boob shots, and you go to interesting places! Honestly, the best London based blog I've come across. Please don't give it up!
    And a quick lil q.. how much was the fare for the ferry? Looks like a lovely trip and as the bf lives around Portsmouth so could be a nice afternoon out! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by- I am not sure how much the ferry fare was, as my friend organised it all. But you simply MUST take your bf to the IoW- it's the coolest, most idyllic little place xxx

      Delete
  15. What a beautiful place! Seriously, stunning photos :)

    sillymedley.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. How lovely. I've visited the Isle of Wight as a client boat trip but didn't really get to spend any time there! I really need to return! Looks like you were pretty lucky with the weather too.

    Cx
    Cocktails and Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks gorgeous! How was the cream tea at Queenies?

    www.carefulfeet.me

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your photos are lovely and it's such a stunning place :).

    Love your blog xx

    prettylittledoodahs.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fantastic to see you have blogged about my home, the isle of wight -I moved back after 10 years in London and love it! glad you had a great time here x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Did you visit Bembridge at all looks like you might have from a couple of the photos x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Binkie, I think we may have stopped off there- but I can't be sure as I was so enthralled by my surroundings that I wasn't paying enough attention to place names xx

      Delete